The Jean Augustine Centre for Young Women’s Empowerment believes that an empowered young woman can improve her life and have a positive impact on the world around her.
The Jean Augustine Centre for Young Women’s Empowerment is dedicated to empowering girls & young women between the ages of 7-17 years by offering programs focused on arts, life skills, academic success & leadership. The Centre also extends its support to the local community by offering various programs, workshops & events for women & families.
Why empower girls?
- Society benefits when girls have equal access to opportunities
- Girls have the right to make choices on life decisions including education, career and physical/sexual health
- Empowering girls through education can break the cycle of poverty in families
- Gender parity is needed in various career fields including STEM, sports, politics and business
Why have a dedicated space for girls?
- It is a safe space that reduces gender specific barriers to access
- It creates a welcoming space for girls to express themselves, share ideas, and hang out
- It creates a sense of belonging and community
- It helps to foster positive relationships between girls and adult female role models